Monday, November 16, 2009

Nigel Rouse

A fairly New convert from Carp Angling to fishing for Pike, has seen Nigel pay a couple of annual visits to Chew Reservoir without much luck until last weekend.
He paid the venue two visits, the first on the Wednesday saw them land just a couple of jacks. Speaking afterwards to a member who had been fishing there for many years that gave hims loads of advice and tips, so the following weekend he put his advice into practice, and what a result the pair of friends had.
In his own words:-
"On the Saturday we had a slow start after drifting a fair bit with lures, then in the afternoon we found some good shoals of fish that could have been trout, with pike close behind, so we drifted a bit more over the top until we had a few follows and then one jack. We then anchored up and stuck some deadbaits out, and within half an hour I had a fish of around 12lb. Then my boat partner had 2 more about the same size within the next hour. At then just as the light had almost gone (about 4.30pm), his rod screamed off and after playing it to the net it hit the scales at 21lb 5oz, a new pb by 3lbs!! what a result.
Heading back to our B&B very happy, we decided to employ the same tactics the following day.
Getting to our chosen spot at about 9am, we made sure we organised ourselves and got baits out by 9.30. By 11am, and with no takes we decided to move only 50 yards, within 15mins I took a fish of around 11lb, a good move i thought. Then at 12.30pm, my float leger dissapeared, I left it say 5 seconds as we found the pike were taking aggresively; and when I wound in the slack the fish was nearly at the boat! She made a dive straight under the boat, which at first was a nightmare as we had anchors out front and back. If she had gone round them I thought it was the end, so I let her take a bit of line - then she backed off, and as luck would have it she swam straight out the way she went in!!! Anyway she hit the scales at 26lb 10oz, a new pb for me by nearly 10lb!!!! Apart from being blind in one eye she was a stunning fish!
It was the stuff of dreams for me, and Ihave been dreaming of it ever since Now I cant wait to get back out with the rods!
I would like to add that if anyone wants to buy some carp gear, let me know!! I'm a piker all the way now!! I would also like to say a big thanks to the guy who gave us the advice!! if I see you up there next year i will buy you a beer!